2001: A Space Odyssey ★★

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to like this, but clearly not right now. The first forty minutes, although spectacular in terms of how it looks is boring. This could be the most intelligent film, the most deep film thematically, the film that has inspired the most but that doesn't mean anything If I'm bored out of my mind.

I can handle slow motion and extended scenes of heavy breathing, or scenes with epic music but Stanley Kubrick places them all together in one big pile of boring. If I filmed my dog having a shit, in slow motion and put some sort of epic music playing over it, that's not good and even if you call it a metaphor... it's simply a dog taking a shit.

Although 2001: A Space Odyssey is pretty epic admittedly, it lacks what I'd call an on-screen imagination, that's probably not even that much of a problem but maybe I was expecting too much from Stanley Kubrick. I'm not sure what Stanley Kubrick is like when it comes to having an imagination, but from what I can tell, he didn't have the best. But obviously that's okay, since he used to play chess.

Despite overall not really enjoying 2001: A Space Odyssey I understand that most people on this site do and I'm okay with that. Maybe I'm not mature enough to absorb the cinematic equivalent of the humans evolutionary journey but when the day comes that I can outright say I'm ready to watch this again, hopefully I'll enjoy it.

As much praise as this gets, I can't find myself to even pretend to enjoy it even half as much as some Letterboxd reviewers but if you read this and want to rip my head off, please be gentle.

Danny liked these reviews