One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ★★★★★

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest won all five of the major academy awards: (Best Picture, Best Actor (Jack Nicholson), Best Actress (Louise Fletcher), Best Director (Milos Forman) and Best Screenplay (Lawrence Hauben and Bo Goldman).

One of three films to do this, the other being The Silence of the Lambs and It Happened One Night (Haven't seen this one) not only does this film prove that having a slightly longer title means you're more likely to win but that the film is certainly worthy of it's awards. The competition as many will know was of an exceptionally high level but although I'm pretty sure some of the other films and talents involved could have won those awards I do not doubt that this film after viewing it for the first time, throughout the Academy Awards history is one of those that deserved all of the awards it got.

That brings me to the actual film, which stars Jack Nicholson but for me not only is he spectacular there are underrated performances from the supporting cast which includes Danny DeVito, Scatman Crothers, Christopher Lloyd, Brad Dourif and Will Sampson as Chief Bromden and the protagonist of the novel this film is adapted from. The film contains a whole host of emotive scenes, each as excellent as the next but these emotions range from hilarity to frustration to anger to thrilling.

Supposedly the original novel's writer Ken Kesey refused to watch the film due to a change in perspective in the film, the original point of view was from Chief Bromden but in the film adaptation it's from Jack Nicholson's character R.P McMurphy. I can't compare which works best since I haven't actually read the novel but I'm pretty certain it works in the film version if it might not be the original intention. Changes to novels in films do work in my opinion and even on occasion must actually occur. There are even occasion in which changes to the novel for a film actually improves upon the original source material and for me, just because a novel is good, does not mean it's perfect but of course I do understand the original creators stance which is commendable.

Anyways, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is easily an absolutely sensational film that has some of the best scenes I have personally ever seen with an amazing Jack Nicholson and a cunt of a nurse, Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher) and a supporting cast that is surely one of the best.

Having nothing else to say and basically saying pointless stuff anyway I might as well finish here.

Want me to take a shit on the floor?

Danny liked these reviews