The Edge of Seventeen ★★★½

This felt like a live-action update of MTV's cult hit Daria from the '90s, remember that? The Edge of Seventeen is a good teen drama, that worked for me, despite my gender and age not being the key demographic this movie was built for. I identified more with Woody Harrelson's misanthropic teacher, alas.

I first noticed Hailee Steinfeld in the True Grit remake, and while I know she has a flourishing music career, she's not as well known for that in the UK... so, it's good to see her "back" after her "time away". I'm aware she was in Ender's Game and Pitch Perfect 2, but still.

She's only 20, very talented, and will hopefully manage to play a few more complicated teenage girls before it starts to look weird. We need more young actresses like her coming through, as Emma Stone moves into the next phase of her post-Oscar career.

One thing confused me about The Edge of Seventeen, though. It's written and directed by a woman, Kelly Fremon Craig, who doesn't get any major credit at the end. The movie cuts instead to an extensive list of producers, headlined by James L. Brooks, so not sure what the politics is there. It's so rare that the director isn't the first person credited at the end of a movie, but surely this is 100% Craig's vision.

(It also isn't available on Blu-ray in the UK, as far as I can tell. You'd have to import the US or German version. Strange.)