Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★★

Had to take in a second viewing of this as it has been rolling around in my head non stop since seeing it. I am so happy to say that I liked it even more now.
The first viewing was more of a mystery wondering how it was going to come together and trying to figure out the vibe Tarantino was going for. With all of that set aside I found I could go along much easier with the ride. It allowed me to see the nuance that the film has to offer.
DiCaprio came off best this time. On my first go around I felt as if his performance was lost and that his performance was the subpar one. Now I see what he is going for and it felt brilliant. The subtle stutter and the shift in his performance as he goes from an average performer giving a bad performance to his bounce to shame than redemption is graceful. He allows himself to be humble in his role and look ugly and insecure which is something I haven't seen from him before.
The film is still messy, with the clumsy six month jump being the most egregious, yet the film is still utterly captivating. I could have spent another hour in this world.

dantesring liked these reviews