Fear Street: 1994

Fear Street: 1994 ★★

Honestly a bit surprised by the positive feedback this is getting.  I really struggled to get through the first third of it.  The acting was brutal.  The dialogue was bad.  The music was trying way, way, way too hard.  It wasn’t scary.  It was just dumb and silly.  I wasn’t interested at all.

But I’m not above finishing bad horror movies and I’ll admit I warmed up to Fear Street: 1994 a bit. Ironically, once the film shifts to a more supernatural story, it actually felt less ridiculous.  I read a lot of RL Stine’s Goosebumps books as a kid, but never anything in the Fear Street series so I have no idea how closely this connects.  It’s kind of crazy that a movie adapted from books aimed at teenagers comes in with a hard R-rating - there’s plenty of “F” bombs and some gruesome kills - but here we are.  Good job, Netflix.

I feel like this part is supposed to be an homage to 1990s horror, and especially Scream, but it’s not meta at all.  The next part is an homage to 80s horror and slashers.  The trailer looked cool.  I didn’t dislike this so much that I won’t keep watching the trilogy.  I’ll be there next week.

4/10 (Forgettable)