Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

I actually think this is better than I remembered.  But that’s not saying much.  It’s still a bad movie — even a bad slasher movie.  The kills are pretty tame — although Jason punching Julius’ head off will always be unforgettable — and there is zero nudity.  I mean... what are we even here for, folks?  For a movie with Manhattan in the title, less than a third of it takes place in New York but we do get some cool scenes there.  It’s the hour plus leading up to NYC that sucks.  It’s basically Jason teleporting (seriously) around a boat that seems way bigger than it looks and killing people randomly from scene to scene.  I guess that’s kind of what these movies have always been, but this is the most egregious outing yet and it has by far the worst group of characters in the franchise up to this point.  I feel like a kid in high school could have written this script.  I used to think a kid in high school could have filmed it, but the production values aren’t terrible.  At least Kane Hodder looks and performs good as Jason again.  Thank you Kane for making this pile of garbage somewhat watchable.

2/10 (Horrible)