Spiral: From the Book of Saw

Spiral: From the Book of Saw ★★½

I can't say I expect much from the ninth entry of any horror franchise, so it's not like Spiral was a big disappointment to me. It's definitely a step in the right direction after the virtually unwatchable Saw VII and Jigsaw, but they didn't exactly reinvent the wheel here either. I think this is the earliest I've ever known exactly who the surprise killer in a movie is and what their relationship to the plot is as well -- usually these movies at least do a good job of wowing you a bit during the reveal. Speaking of the reveal, I still love the theme music they came up with for those sequences. Definitely epic stuff. Chris Rock is fine, I guess, but I honestly didn't think most of the comedy in this landed. I was handing out courtesy chuckles, at best. There's some timeliness with the killer targeting crooked cops, but it doesn't relate much to what's happening in the real world these last few years. The traps in this movie were cool, but I feel like the number of deaths were down compared to previous movies.

I dunno... it's fine. Better than the previous two and a worthy installment, but I'm not someone that gets overly excited about these movies. I love the first one but I didn't get a lot of joy out of revisiting the rest of the series a few years back.

5/10 (Decent)