American Factory ★★★½

Obama's production company owns American Factory. Consider me sceptical of the film's message about how workers have been screwed under the current global economic system. Obama had 8 years to fix some of these problems and did not. In fact, things got worse, and what little good he did has been undone by Trump's even worse policies.

*sigh* I could discuss the politics of this situation a lot, but I don't have the energy for it right now. Because as a society we keep on supporting leaders who do the most damage. Because the workers of the world are being crushed and my post will make no difference. Because honestly I don't even know what to think, I just know what is wrong and who is responsible, not what the immediate practical solutions are. Because it gets tiring talking about workers who vote against their own self-interest again and again.

American Factory works because it provides a really fascinating insight into the nitty gritty of the current economic system in America. It also touches on China, soon to be the most powerful country the world has ever seen. Often the documentary acts apolitical and objective, not always standing with workers as it allows anti-union propaganda to go unchallenged and implies the Chinese are superior workers than Americans. We should have solidarity between workers, not divisions. But then again American Factory is just presenting reality, not judging it. For that alone, I can let my grievances go. Because despite it all, I can still feel truth in this documentary and better informed for having watched it.

2019 Ranked