Chungking Express ★★★★★

It's the first of May, it was a dream to watch Chungking Express today. I asked someone out two days ago, she said no. It was the best day I've had in a long time.

Chungking Express moves through the world, looking between doorframes, shelves, and tables to find gaps in the clutter. No city is as shamelessly alive as Wong Kar-wai's Hong Kong. Coins clatter, music plays, rain pours. Go through the fish tank, embrace the neon blur, live fast and love slow. Gunshots in the night, a sweet serenade.

Everyday we brush past people we may never meet. 0.01 of a centimetre can change our entire lives. There's two equally perfect stories in Chungking Express, bisected, and covering four souls. There's the story of the faceless woman underneath sunglasses and a wig, paired with the story of the heartbroken young man stuck with his obsessions. There's the story of the short-haired woman who's both shy and loud, paired with the man so blinded by his breakup that he's lost in his own flat. Nothing quite unifies these four, but between them they show us a world where being happy-sad is a state of being.

I once spent two years in love with a girl from Hong Kong. I never told her. The last day we spent together inspired me to write my best poem. Like cans of pineapple, love can expire. Change is good, because it allows us to move on. Redefine love, redefine loneliness, they don't have to end up as complements.

You're always doing things for the last time. I used to walk for thirty-five minutes every day, to the same building, just to get a different photograph. Then I'd turn around and walk back, without ever going inside. I never missed a day for months, until I abruptly stopped. That was four years ago. Everything is finite if we choose to move on.

Chungking Express is such an incredibly satisfying film. It's perfect precisely because it isn't. It's messy and scrappy, but everything feels right in every possible way, conventions of narrative and cinema be damned. I understand the deep emotional tapestry of Chungking Express more and more on every watch. I undress with just the light of my phone, feeling like I'm in a film by Wong Kar-wai. Fly away. Dream. Dream. Dream. Dreamin' forever.

I love you. Words not in the film but so obviously everywhere.

Please read my previous analyses here and here.

Wong Kar-wai Ranked