John Wick: Chapter 2

John Wick: Chapter 2 ★★★★

For me, John Wick came as a surprise when I saw it. Keanu Reeves in a lower budget action film that he didn't have to say much he just needed to look and act bad ass. Which in that he succeeded . There were loose plot ends, and a simplified plot, but they were just a tiny admission fee for the tense and fun gun play scenes. So the idea of it having a sequel was scary and exciting. Turns out my fears were for not, and "John Wick: Chapter 2" lives up to the hype.

It is also weird to see a sequel take the time to tie up the loose ends form the first movie, while also delving deeper into the world of John Wick. We learn more of the land of assassins he is from, as well as how apparently everyone in the world is a hired killer but me. I do admit that the first bit of this film, after the loose ends are done, seems a bit clunky. The Wickatron works best with is low dialogue, high end quality gun fights in full display. So, at first I was a bit underwhelmed. But then it all changes and the rest of the run time is used in a giant cat and mouse gun attack, chase, intense action scene. Cool set pieces, fun hand to hand fighting....once all this starts you forget all the weird exposition, and odd characters that seem not to matter.

It makes me a bit weirded out, and happy at the same time when I can actually like a sequel as much or more than the original. It is rare a movie lives up to the hype built by the first one. So kudos to you "John Wick", looks good on the boogeyman.

Bob liked these reviews