BlacKkKlansman

BlacKkKlansman ★★★★

It's been one year since the Charlottesville Rally, and the world has become a more shittier, darker, place. With hatred upon one another, we value privilege and status, more than merit and personality. The prejudice against divided sides will never stop if the person who ignited the flame continues to hide in the shadows. In comes Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman, an uproarious power cry for peace in a bigoted, fucked up world. BlackKkKlansman is also a testimony to the one's who ignite the flame. In no way is it subtle, but Spike sure does know how to get into the nitty gritty when calling out on people's bullshit. This film, unlike our modern society, value's merit and has loads of personality. It's a film that's important to witness, and is worth multiple viewings. It may not be the best film of the year. It may not be the most well directed film of the year. But hell, this sure is the most important film released in 2018. It's time to reflect on what we've done. No more pandering safe blockbuster's that just have a simple message of "Racism is bad", like Marvel Studios Black Panther. It's time to actually discuss. It's time to think. It's time to reflect through art.

After all, this was the reason why cinema was created.

David liked these reviews