Jojo Rabbit

Jojo Rabbit ★★★½

Our world is currently in shambles. Neo-Nazis, boundary-breaking invasions, and the fight for humanitarian ethics, all seem like prime indicators of a fate that might just lead us into a third World War. As heat grows between confronting sides, it’s only a matter of time before the purified hate and disdain for others, becomes the prime source of death and endless misery for innocent civilians and bystanders. Taika Waititi has taken notice of this problem for quite some time now, and with his latest feature Jojo Rabbit, he confronts our problematic conflicts by advocating a message against these prejudice perpetrators. Just like the wide majority of his films, Waititi aims at making his audience laugh and cry with his simplistic tales of careless youth. Albeit it’s simplistic childish approach, Jojo Rabbit is a surprisingly mature tween flick, and a return to form for Taika after his confused detour with Marvel and his widely inconsistent take on the comic book genre.

Opening with a German-language dub of I Want To Hold Your Hand by The Beatles, the film’s first needle drop sets the tone for the events to come. By starting the film with a song that’s associated with a band, who are known for essentially brainwashing susceptible youth with their lyrics of rebellion and lust, it would make sense to establish the film with a tune that’s packed with symbolism and historic foreshadowing. Jojo Rabbit is ultimately a rallying cry against political fanaticism and the dangers of tampering with adolescent innocence. The further the film prances along, the more intense the subject matter becomes. By it’s rewarding finale, reality becomes a tainted world for poor Jojo, as he attempts to make sense of the atrocities committed...

FULL REVIEW CONTINUED