The Wolf of Wall Street

The Wolf of Wall Street ★★★★½

It's been a pretty great start to 2014. After the excellent American Hustle and the amazing 12 years a slave we have the Wolf of Wall Street. A film that I was highly anticipating due to the high calibre of all involved and it didn't disappoint.

Positives:
+ Its a highly entertaining film and a lot funnier than I had expected. At times the film is a pure comedy with it getting more laughs in my cinema than I've seen most actual comedy films get. When I saw that the film was 3 hours I was worried I would feel that length while watching but the film zips by with minimal pacing issues for me.
+ The performances across the board are just fantastic. DiCaprio is brilliant and deserves the praise and awards he is getting for this one (Although personally I hope Chiwetel Ejiofer wins the Oscar in a few weeks). Jonah Hill pulls another rabbit out of the hat and is deserving of his Oscar nomination, something I never thought I would be writing. While Margot Robbie, Rob Reiner and Kyle Chandler are all great in their supporting roles too.
+ Matthew McConaughey. The whole chest bump thing he does with DiCaprio will be iconic in the future. I'm still not fully sure how McConaughey has turned his career around so well after his highly mediocre start but he is once again impressive here. He has minimal screen time but he leaves a lasting impression on the film.
+ This film is highly quotable. The script is razor sharp and as previously mentioned is at times hilarious. I could see this one being a future classic that people in 20 years time will still be falling in love with.
+ The direction. Scorsese is one of my favourite directors and he knows how to make a fun and entertaining film, you can't deny the man's genius.
+ The Soundtrack for the most part is great and sets the scene of the 80s/90s. However I will say that the use of Everlong by the Foo Fighters was jarring and a very questionable choice.

Negatives:
- The characters for me while fascinating and entertaining were just plain unlikeable. Large portions of the film consists of them shouting at each other which for a 3 hour film I found tiring after a while. This is the main reason why the film isn't getting a 5 star rating.
- There are a few scenes that go on for too long or feel too similar to one another and the film could definitely be trimmed a good 20-30 minutes to make it a more accessible watch.

Favourite/Memorable Quote:
"My name is Jordan Belfort. The year I turned 26, I made 49 million dollars, which really pissed me off because it was three shy of a million a week" - Jordan Belfort

MVP: Leornado DiCaprio

Conclusion: While not perfect this is a highly entertaining and at times hilarious film and one that I consider to be another Scorsese masterpiece.

David liked these reviews