Crime Story ★★★½

The 2018 Cult Movie Challenge
Week 10: CAT III Week

Besides a guy burning alive on screen for a good 90 seconds and a pregnant woman getting hooked up to some jumper cables, I'm not sure why this one ended up with its CAT III rating in Hong Kong. I'm only partially joking, because compared to Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky this was a fairly gore-free affair, the kind of movie where people don't even really bleed after they get pumped full of lead.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that woman was pregnant. I thought it was mentioned, but after a Google search, I'm not so sure? Anyways, I'm not rewatching the whole movie right now to answer that one. Maybe it got mentioned in my dub, but not others.

This wasn't supposed to be a comedy but rather a Serious Drama based on a true story about a kidnapped businessman (Law Kar-Ying), and it even ends like an episode of America's Most Wanted, but I couldn't help being amused by the dubbing. The guy who did Jackie Chan's voice sounded like a teenage Mike Myers, and the businessman who gets nabbed comes off a little like John Wayne. How could I not be entertained by that?

I had to take my pleasures where I could with Crime Story, because it's one of my lesser appreciated types of Jackie Chan vehicles: heavy on gunplay and Jackie getting smacked around, but light on hand-to-hand combat. I don't think we reached anything resembling fisticuffs until the feature was nearly halfway done. But as usual, the stunt work was frequently inspired, and the director or editor or somebody had some clever stylistic ideas about how to present the material. Not exceptional Jackie Chan, but solid nonetheless.

DBC liked these reviews