Blade Runner

Blade Runner ★★★★½

"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like... tears... in... rain. Time... to die..."

That line nearly had me in tears. Simply beautiful, just beautiful.
After owning it for more than a month and missing out on this back in film class (medical reasons), I've finally seen, what is to been said as one of the most influential science fiction films of all time, and I couldn't agree anymore.Based on Phillip K. Dick's novel, Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?", Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is simply ageless.

Set in a dystopian Los Angeles in the year 2019, The Tyrell Corporation manufactures genetically engineered robots, simply called, "Replicants". Those who defy against the laws are hunted down and "retired" by special police officers known as "Blade Runners". The film follows an ex-Blade Runner, Deckard, who agrees to take one last assignment in order to find a group of highly dangerous Replicant's who are hiding in Los Angeles.

Let's get some of the obvious things out of the way early: This film, visually is just breathtaking. Surely it may not look like your typical future, whereas here, it's very grimy, gritty, dark, and overall very shadowy. But what is it that makes it so breathtaking? The effects, along with the cinematography, production design, lighting, and overall look of the film make it pop and "Wow" you. Let's not forget the score. A sound that not only sounds out Science Fiction, but also Film Noir (I'll get to that soon). Dark, brooding, and often melodic, Vangelis' score is about as beautiful as it gets. The acting: Harrison Ford is about as great in anything (I'm going to pretend he never made the new film Paranoia), but he has almost no charm in this one, and it works. He plays probably one of the most grounded characters, displaying no sense of super-ness, and showing signs of being "burnt out" and being out of his element. Much like an old man in a young man's game, though Ford is not old in this one, you can tell that all the years of being a Blade Runner catches up and leaves you a bit exhausting. For a lack of better words, he's rusty. The real show stealer here is Rutger Hauer, who plays the leader of the group of Replicants, Roy Batty. He's just phenomenal in this. A unique look that makes the character of Roy seem mysterious, but also lethal. There's something about Roy that you can't lay your finger on.

The film Noir. No doubt Film Noir plays a heavy aspect in this film. The overall visual look to the film is a Future Noir look, or Tech Noir. With the beautiful Sci-Fi/Noir esque sound from Vangelis and some great shots, I couldn't help but think of Noir-esque this film is. It's evident in many shots. The first scene we see Deckard chasing Zhora come to my mind instantly, though those aren't the only two of course.

The overall plot is fairly simple, but moves consistently. It doesn't really feel like an action film, but, again, rather more Noir, hence Tech Noir Some have argued over the pacing, but I honestly think it's just perfect and keeps going and thinking as the film goes on.

Blade Runner is without a doubt a fine looking film, but it is also a fine film overall. Having been writing this for nearly fifteen minutes, I feel like my review isn't good enough for this film. I honestly can't review it and explain it and do justice. I just can't, it's hard for me. What I do know is that I loved it from start to finish, anything and everything. I also know that I'm definitely going to be picking this up on Blu Ray next month along with several other titles when I make the jump to Blu. I'm sure This film will continue to impress me with subsequent viewings in the future.

There's been talks about a sequel or maybe a prequel being made to Blade Runner, It has been said that Ridley Scott is behind it, and that Harrison Ford may or may not return. I honestly disagree with this. I think the film is perfectly fine and is able to stand on it's own two feet well enough, that such a film is no needed at all. Sure It'd be cool with today's technology, but the real question is, "Do we really need it?" Some might say yes, others might say no, I say no, Blade Runner is beautiful after Thirty-One years.

Thirty-One Years...