Adventureland

Adventureland ★★★½

This week has now seen me watch double doses of both Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg. After Zombieland and Welcome To The Rileys I'm obviously a glutton for punishment , but this coming-of-age comedy/drama has a nostalgia factor that seems to endear it to me for some reason.
Let me be honest, I have a thing for Kristen Stewart. Yes I like Twilight, but that's not it. There's something about her, whether it be her morally suspect attitude towards relationships or something slightly seedier, I like her? She's not the greatest actress in the world, but not everyone has the talent of Katherine Hepburn or Cate Blanchett. You work with what you have, and she's done quite well for herself with a variety of different roles. She's also got some decent chemistry with Eisenberg here, and with a sharp script and a good soundtrack this is better than most of the genre's also-ran's. Eisenberg fitted the bill as the intellectual,almost geeky virgin who falls for a co-worker at his summer job perfectly. He's shy, awkward, and way too serious. It takes Stewart's Em to bring him out of his shell and as the story progresses his confidence grows. It's not the most original story, it's not the funniest of stories, but it works. With Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, and Ryan Reynolds providing solid support, this is one of those films that for people of a certain age (like me) find some of the scenarios undeniably familiar. Oh and I actually liked Falco's Rock Me Amadeus more than Lou Reed's Satellite Of Love, stone me for heresy.

Andy liked these reviews