Dunkirk

Dunkirk ★★★★½

Film # 35 December Challenge 2017

Historical period dramas always have a spoiler alert, most of us know how things turn out. The evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940 saw the BEF escape annihilation at the hands of the Nazis after a disastrous campaign had seen them pushed back against The Channel. Christopher Nolan's film is epic in scale and ambition, and despite a script that must have been barely a couple of dozen pages long in terms of dialogue, the visual effects and the stunning set-pieces bring 1940 vividly back to life. I'd hasten to add that the cast all do their bit, even that twat from One Direction didn't suck, and Tom Hardy was inspirational as a spitfire pilot with balls as big as a dumptruck. Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, and Cillian Murphy are the most famous faces in a film that manages to be both gripping and awe-inspiring in equal measure, this is a film that gives you a sense of pride in what it meant to be British in a time of war, and how WE as a nation stood up to fascism. I love war films, but this isn't a blood and guts assault on the senses we may have gotten with a less subtle director. There's skill, passion, and an intensity in every frame of Nolan's film, and if it does win the Academy Award for Best Picture, it'll be totally deserved.

Andy liked these reviews