Jackie Brown ★★★½

When the wife suggested a Tarantino weekend, I was definitely up for it, but this is always the film that seems to get picked last when we're lining them up. It's not to say that this isn't a good movie, it simply comes last among Quentin's eight Blu Rays.
Jackie Brown is trademark Tarantino. Scripted with his usual colourful language and delivered by another classy cast of pros, he copped yet more flak for his overuse of the N word. Regardless, this film is a homage to the Blaxploitation films of the Seventies, and has Pam Grier taking centre stage in a complex story of double-crosses and misdirection. Big Samuel L and Bobby De Niro are the bad muthafuckas of the piece as a gun-dealer and his heavy, but Michael Keaton's DEA agent also brings complications for Grier after she's caught smuggling cash and blow for Samuel L. Robert Forster and Bridget Fonda round out the cast that all deliver impressive performances. De Niro is frightening as the Max Cady-esque Louis, and Forster picked up an Oscar Nomination for his role as bail-bonds man Max Cherry.
A film that remains my least favourite of the Knoxville director's work, it still packs a few punches. Grier is excellent here, reminding us of her talent, and the soundtrack oozes cool with Bobby Womack's Across 110th Street particularly effective. Still better than most of 1997's films, this has still to earn a proper place in my heart alongside Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds.

Andy liked these reviews