John Wick: Chapter 2

John Wick: Chapter 2 ★★★½

There's no denying that the presence of a stuntman in the director's chair had a significant influence on the action overload that John Wick had in abundance. This second chapter has more of the same, but ramped up a notch, if that was even possible, with our Keanu's "bogeyman" at the crosshairs of more guns than Donald Trump on a visit to Yemen. The action sequences of the first film were what captured the imagination, but it was the shadowy world of assassins and the mythology of the rules, the management, and the secrecy of the different entities that get expanded upon in Chapter 2 that really intrigued me. Don't get me wrong I like the gunplay, the jujitsu, and the adrenaline fuelled carnage that ensues, but the interaction with The Continental and especially Ian McShane's Winston gave us arguably some of the best scenes in the film. This second instalment sees Wick become a target after being forced to carry out a hit he doesn't want to do, again rules dictate he has to honour a marker from an unscrupulous crime lord that drops him in a world of hurt. Other facets of the underworld are revealed with more interesting characters introduced, and it all adds up to a thrilling mix of brilliantly choreographed action sequences and Keanu dispatching henchmen like it's going out of fashion.

Andy liked these reviews