The Babadook ★★

Rarely has a horror film had such rave reviews as The Babadook. I had expected to shit my pants during this evenings viewing, but as a bloke that scares easily and isn't a fan of the genre, I found this hugely disappointing. The premise, the set-up, the annoying little twat of a kid all prepared us for something that would genuinely bring the chills, but this just never got going.
William Friedkin, the director of The Exorcist stated last Summer that he thought The Babadook was the most terrifying film he'd ever seen, and coming from the man who delivered that seventies classic, the expectation levels for this were enormous. Well I'm sorry Bill, but little Regan spider-walking and her nightmarish encounter with true evil made The Babadook look about as scary as an episode of the Teletubbies. Jennifer Kent's lo-fi approach did help create a creepy, sinister atmosphere, but it was slow-paced and pedestrian before failing to deliver the predicted frights. The kid got right on my tits early on and at one point I even considered killing him myself. I kept waiting for something to happen, something to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, but aside from one or two moments I was almost bored. Again I'm not the target audience here as horror films psychological or not aren't my thing, but my wife is and she thought it was a real letdown.

Andy liked these reviews