Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★½

I don’t like superheroes—unless it’s a darkly handsome and brooding Bruce Wayne—but honestly, I find it difficult to sit through a 2.5-hour formulaic film of men in capes with some pretty underwhelming female characters. It gets boring to see the same film again and again just with minor changes in plot, setting, and characters. Mostly all the Marvel films are well structured and executed, but typically lack a creative and unique story. Do we all really need to go see Captain America do the same exact thing Iron Man did last month but in a different time period, with a B-list villain, and with a brunette slung across his arm instead of a blonde? I didn’t think so. Yet, when a film breaks the formulaic superhero approach it feels effortless and freeing, like a sense of relief (mainly because I don’t have to spend two hours trying to fight the blissful urge to sleep). Films like Thor: Ragnarok and Infinity War were like shots of caffeine plunged directly into the bulging vein in my forehead (which formed from irritatingly boring films like Deadpool, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Black Panther).

FULL REVIEW AT FLOATED MAG