Steve Jobs ★★★★½

Mostly owing to Australian cinemas being seemingly incapable of realising anything not staring Will Ferrell or Jennifer Lawrence within 3 months of their American releases, I often lose enthusiasm for films I've been looking forward to. This can work both ways- sometimes the lack of enthusiasm will continue through the film and it will fall flat. But other times the films can take me by surprise. The latter was the case with Steve Jobs.

Forgetting everything about the film besides it being directed by Danny Boyle and starring Michael Fassbender, I went in expecting a solid biopic that pandered to the critics. What I got was a kinetic, absorbing, funny and moving story of a hugely complicated man, told in an original way that people will either get behind or won't.

The film is basically a series of three long sequences, each a different product launch over the course of Jobs' adult life. There are flashbacks, which in themselves are interestingly done, but outside of these three sequences we don't see a whole lot more of Job's life. It's an odd choice but for me it paid off in a big way. We all know there's a lot more to Jobs' life, but if there's a better way of summing up the man and what he's about in a couple of hours than this, then I can't wait to see the film.

The most significant thing I forgot about the film is that it was written by Aaron Sorkin. God knows how I did but it took all of a few minutes before it sparked for me. It's another momentous effort from him; a potent mix of poignancy and humour, with the same kind of snappy and memorable dialogue that lends itself to revisiting, much like The Social Network.

Fassbender also delivers characteristically excellent work. Steve Jobs is never likeable- I think they worked that out very quickly in production- but in Fassbender's hand it is very clear how the man became so successful. Ruthless, calculating and at times even deplorable- he refers to himself as "poorly made"- he was a man who knew what he wanted and what everyone else wanted, and he went out and did it. Fassbender probably gives him more redeeming qualities than necessary, but as entertainment it is spot on.

It doesn't reach the exhilarating heights of Fury Road, but I was knocked back by how much I enjoyed this movie, and I can't see it sitting right up there when I'm finally able to see all of 2015's "big" films.

Highlight: The extended sequence where Jobs and John Sculley have it out

Lowlight: Kate Winslett's wavering accent

Best in Show: Fassbender is brilliant and would be a worthy Oscar winner.

Alex liked these reviews