Encanto

Encanto ★★★★

Really enjoyed this one! Not as much as Moana, but that's a high bar. It was a nice, easy watch that had me teary at the end. Stand-out songs for me were the first one just because it was fun and introductory, "We Don't Talk About Bruno" because of the style and all the characters featured, and the beautiful "Dos Oruguitas" that's been stuck in my head ever since. Listened to the soundtrack the next day because I liked it so much.

I like all the family members and how much time we got to spend with them - I was surprised the mom ended up being the least-featured character (or at least it felt that way to me). I think Stephanie Beatriz did a great job (except for a few songs that had her hitting nasally notes - I'm thinking of "Bring it in! Bring it in!" in her song with her sister). Loved the theme of immigrant parents / grandparents putting a lot of pressure on their descendants to be perfect as a way of being grateful for the lives afforded them due to sacrifices. Turned out Maribel's miracle was cuttin through granny's bullshit. John Leguizamo is always a treat.