Man of Steel ★★★★

This was one of my most anticipated movies of 2013. That being said, I was generally not disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The dark, gritty nature of Superman's timeless origin story was, although seemingly piggybacking off of The Dark Knight's popularity, a fresh though dreary look at one of the world's most iconic and beloved superheroes. The cast was decent; Henry Cavill could still use some work, but everyone else was fine--would've been better with a stronger script. The effects were over the top, and extremely gratuitous, which I believe is entirely acceptable for this kind of a movie. The action scene choreography was fast paced, speedily done, and I loved every second of kryptonians being punched miles out like ragdolls. Great epic scenes of destruction served as much-deserved eye candy. The villain, Zod, was also a decent villain, who set up pretty high expectations for Superman's next foe. Overall, Man of Steel was pretty solid, though lacking a bit in the writing department which hindered the characters and the acting tropes.