The Tale of the Princess Kaguya ★★★½

Something was definitely different with this Studio Ghibli film, compared to the other ones I've seen. Firstly, the art style is unique, unlike anything I've ever seen before. Takes some time to get used to, but once I did, I was immersed. It was simplistic, yet beautiful at the same time. The story was reminiscent of that of traditional princess tales--albeit with a less-than-happy ending. Aaaand that brings me to the ending: it was somber, and more thought-provoking rather than warm and satisfying. Though plot line went kind of all over the place, it did work its way forward. The characters were pretty fleshed out (very likable 'good' characters), and there were some charming moments scattered throughout the narrative. Personally, I didn't think the movie superseded the magnificence of a lot of previous Ghibli films, but it was a solid, decent outing. Maybe I expected too much, or it was just too different, or too serious, and gloomy. Don't get me wrong, though, I was enthralled by the emotional moments in the film. Ultimately, I was still overall captivated by a unique art style, interesting plot, and distinctive characters.