Don't Look Up

Don't Look Up ★★★★★

Score : 9.5/10 ✅

-Can I be vulnerable in your car?

My sincere appreciation for Adam McKay’s filmmaking style keeps growing and growing, Don’t Look Up may be his most absurd and chaotic film to date but it’s certainly the most pertinent when we scrutinize the past two years of our forever changed lives, there’s something so fascinating to see a film about division and personal agenda getting literally divided among critics, it’s almost too good to be true and borderline ironic.

I consider The Big Short (2015) one of the few masterpieces of the last decade (seriously, that movie is a straight 10 out of 10 in my book, I’ve probably watched it at least 10 times) and would admit that Vice (2018) was particularly good. Keeping in mind that, I deeply knew that Don’t Look Up was going to be awesome and I’m so glad to say that I loved every single minute of it.

Don’t Look Up is a solid satirical movie that gets carried from the start until the finish line by phenomenal performances and I absolutely loved everyone for various reasons. Dicaprio and Lawrence are outstanding here, no doubt about it. But my two personal favourites are clearly Mark Rylance (probably where I laugh the most) and Timothée Chalamet (probably where I laugh the loudest), the delivery of their lines were absolutely bonkers, my god their characters are appropriate for the situation and the context of the film.

It’s incredible to see a film about a catastrophic event getting turned into a social commentary on today’s society; ignoring science, trying to turn everything into politics, poking fun to the ridicule emphasis of internet trending and showing a sense of procrastination never ever seen before is genuinely scary, considering the maddening world we live in right now.

Don’t Look Up may not be satisfying to watch if you want to watch something that provides escapism, as this film will make you fall into real-world problems within the first 10 minutes, so I suggest approaching this one with a clear mind since I consider this movie really cynical and distressing.

All in all, Adam McKay still takes the time to make us remember that behind all this human idiotic reasoning of creating first world problems, it’s always about the people we’re with that matter the most and this is the main reason why Don’t Look Up is to me, simply brilliant.

Deathy liked these reviews