Dune

Dune ★★★★★

I’m a huge fan of the novel, but I’ve been waiting for a new movie saga to rival Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. I found that with this movie. This film was able to accomplish the incredibly detailed world-building of the book without compromising the characters or emotional moments. The scale of this film is almost unmatched, and there’s never a moment where you’re just watching a normal movie. It transports you into the world like the other epic sagas of past years. The performances are all excellent as expected, but I was very impressed by the grotesque villainy Stellan Skarsgård puts on as the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. I also appreciate the portrayal of the Fremen. Their culture and religion is very real and authentic. Set design, VFX, score, and cinematography are all top notch. I really don’t have any problems with this. Faithful to the source material while taking small liberties which I believe enhance certain aspects of the story that don’t hold up today. But many scenes were straight out of the book and that was a real treat. My expectations were far exceeded, and I am so excited for part two.