La La Land

La La Land

watched this wanting to see a musical I havent seen... and it was hardly one!

I knew about the thread of irony, especially in the ending, but I sensed that throughout the WHOLE thing. Starting the movie with such a great ensemble number, only to have songs every blue moon does not a musical make. Its just a movie where they sing and dance sometimes. The musical flourishes were taunting me with promises of solos that never came. And I get that, the movie was trying to be like "oh arent musicals SO unrealistic haha" but wouldnt it come through stronger if the characters were allowed to wallow in their feelings with 5 minute songs? I dont even mind the downer ending, a lot of musicals have that! I just wanted it to feel like one outside of the fantastical set pieces (which I did love, the dream world was awesome).

Speaking of the songs, I knew every single one of them already, so I thought theyd be more of centerpiece than they were. and I can tell the composer wrote even more, so why do they only sing for seemingly 30 seconds at a time? (our leads arent necessarily the strongest singers though, a blessing in disguise?) The wait between songs was agonizing, it really needed more music to fill the time. If this is really going to become a stage production, they're going to need to add about 5 or so of the cut songs AT LEAST. then, the 2 hours wouldnt feel so plodding either.