Godzilla vs. Kong

Godzilla vs. Kong

At the end of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, I had hope for this movie. You had a setup—all those monsters on Team Godzilla and Kong, the underdog, called to battle for the fate of humanity. Sort of a Godzilla: Final Wars scenario, but it really feels like the writers decided to chuck that ending in favor of a Batman v. Superman battle because that went over so well with Zach Snyder. There are so many new elements quickly introduced that it feels like it’s two different movies smooshed together under two hours. Characters are not developed at all, which even positive reviews seem to acknowledge, but then they wave it off like all that matters is the big explosions and pretty lights. Look, I love kaiju movies, but if you don’t give the human plot room to breathe and take three seconds to actually develop themes, motivations, literally anything, then it drags the whole experience down. My brain literally shut off when the third act rolled around. It reminded me, on one hand, that Pacific Rim handles neon-drenched kaiju battles way better than this, and on the other, that the MonsterVerse is dead in the water. Whether this is a hit or not, they’ve used all the top shelf established monsters in completely unmemorable appearances. It’s really disappointing as a fan, and yet I can’t say I was surprised to feel this way either. I doubt I’ll go and see the next Godzilla movie that comes out, and as a lifelong fan, that really speaks to the quality (or lack thereof) in this movies.

Added to:
• Godzilla — D Edward Ranks (19 / 20)

D Edward liked these reviews