The Girl on the Train ★★½

Devoid of personality, I had issues more with the script than the direction. The writing is ham-fisted, obvious and over the top. Our first cue to Rachel's alcoholism is a corny scene of her making a random woman uncomfortable; it's an awkward and mishandled interaction that doesn't do anything but shout her issues at the audience. In comparison, in the novel, we start out with an image of small plastic liquor bottles in her purse...just enough to tip us off but not enough to spell out every single cold-hued letter for us. Don't worry, this review isn't a side-by-side between the book and the movie (I only read the first chapter anyway), but I thought it demonstrated best just how hard Girl is trying.

Tense music lurches every mundane scene as if we're experiencing a two-hour climax. Overacted, overwigged, and thinking it's story is much more important or exciting than it really is. This story isn't a dark thriller or a psychological drama...it's a mystery sold at the airport. Which isn't bad, it's a solid whodunnit, sure, but the filmmakers are trying too hard to make the film into something it isn't. Boundless comparisons to...other films...lie within the annals of letterboxd reviews.

Oh, and Emily Blunt, as much as I love her, has a weakness. And that's being able to play drunk. Wrought with emotion, she's great...until she has to pretend to stagger and slur and then it comes off corny. In other characters, this wouldn't be a dealbreaker but for this character specifically (as you may or may not already know), it grows to be detrimental. She still helps carry the film but an Oscar-nod is far off. As one might say, I was not shook and I certainly did not have my wig snatched.

Watch it if you're bored, but The Girl on the Train is forgettable.

Aaron liked these reviews