Black Mirror: Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too ★★½

Okay, again, I have to read this generously. This is supposed to be a Disney-fied version of Black Mirror, on purpose right? Because save for the swearing and the existential crises within, this is indistinguishable from even the best DCOMs.( Which is only a criticism insofar as, I wanted a Black Mirror episode. DCOMs rule.)

Of course, Miley is playing a heightened version of herself, and all the 'mouse' motifs are representative of Disney itself... but even within that generous reading, there's a lot here that makes me go "Okay you're playing on that Disney trope... but why?" Why is the lead teen girl a depressed, obsessed, lonely archetype that doesn't change or learn in any way over the course of the episode? Why is the dad so singularly-focused on his mousetrap business in a way that is literally only played for jokes? I think I would've enjoyed this more (with all the same criticisms) if it weren't packaged as a Black Mirror episode, and was instead a random Netflix original film that we would all talk about for a weekend and then never again.