Ford v Ferrari

Ford v Ferrari ★★★★

Ford v Ferrari was one of my most anticipated films of the year, and it did not disappoint.

I am not a car enthusiast per say, I like them, and I watch some car shows (specifically Top Gear/Grand Tour.) But I didn’t need to be to love this movie, Ford v Ferrari is a movie that tries its best to appeal to everyone, even if they are not car enthusiasts.

But speaking of cars, the race sequences in this movie....  phenomenal.... The way Mangold places his shots, the editing, the sound... It’s all seamless, it’s literally perfect. The end result is a final 30 minutes of nothing but pure Adrenalin, it was one of the best experiences I’ve had in a theatre this year.

Christian Bale and Matt Damon lead the movie with 2 superb performances, also delivering some of the best on screen chemistry of the year (also thanks to some great writing.) The supporting cast was also a really nice surprise, specifically Jon Bernthal, he wasn’t a huge focus in the movie but I really enjoyed him when he was on screen.

Visually, this movie is stunning in every way, the shots are framed to perfection, and the way the sun bleeds through the frame at times was beautiful. The score is also a nice addition, it’s simplistic, yet really effective (which seems to be what Mangold likes from what I’ve seen.)

The movie is bogged down by a lack of structure though, there are times where the film feels like it’s aimlessly walking around with no real end goal with some of these characters. The development on Shelby was really really weak, I didn’t really feel any emotional attachment to him like I did with Bales character.

At the end of the day, Ford v Ferrari is a really good film, with great performances, superb visuals, and it delivers a great message that is still extremely relevant today.

Score: A-