Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ★★★★½

There’s a scene here where characters are imprisoned off a cliff in a ball made up of the bones of their crew and when they try to escape by swinging said ball back on to the cliff the most over the top circus music starts playing. At that moment I uttered out loud “this is better than the first” and the rest of the movie lived up to that level of absurdity. I’m not saying this ironically either. Dead Man’s Chest is one of the most visually striking and dynamic blockbusters of the 2000s. Gore Verbinski doesn’t get enough credit for what he did with these movies. Of course the cgi is some of the most detailed ever especially from Davy Jones who I still think is more convincing than any other fully digital character in a movie but this isn’t just a technical breakthrough either. It does what all sequels should do by deepening the mythology in a fun way and developing the characters and their relationships all while ending things off with a great cliffhanger. Disney will never make anything this interesting again.

Dennis liked these reviews