Interstellar ★★★★

"We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars, now we just look down and worry about our place in the dirt."

Let's get few, clear things sticking out in the corner of my post-Interstellar membrane out of the way immediately: it's not as good as I thought or hope it would be. Nolan's apparent flaw in over-explaining things through painfully-placed expositions, peppered through the entire second leading to the third act, either explaining too much or even too little - which to be fair, it's fine by me either way - is quite an anomaly that reaches its critical apex in this film, till a point where I actually felt it. These are some really well-assembled team of casts but some of them are heavily-underused and thinly-drawn out (without revealing any for the sake of spoilers). Plot-holes are one too many - even though come on guys, it IS a science-fiction after all. And do not even , ever, try to counterpoint a conclusion when it comes to its narrative because in the end of its nearly 3 hour runtime; there are none.

Does all of that made it to be a painfully-bad, head-scratching film experience this year? Not even close. For all its worth, Interstellar is an enigmatic challenge, beholden by all of its technical brilliance and its dazzling visuals.

Similar to Guy Pearce in 'Memento', Hugh Jackman in 'The Prestige', Leo DiCaprio in 'Inception' and even Christian Bale in 'Dark Knight'; Nolan has found his new muse to lead his story effectively this time as McConaughey, filling in the shoes as ex-engineer-turned-farmer-in-the-near-future Cooper, just knocked it out of the park. His chemistry with Mackenzie Foy, who played his young daughter Murph, is my personal highlight of this movie and it's clear from the get-go, the heart and soul that drives the emotional crux of this film.

Hans Zimmer's music this time around is a little bit understated and subtle - he kept away his giant, epic horns away for this - but no doubt it hits all the right buttons when it needs to and in retrospect, it's simply aurally gorgeous. Visual effects supervisor Paul Franklin, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Lee Smith - these go-to talented human beings of Chris Nolan has yet again delivered the necessary awe and wonder that only an amazing science-fiction film can do. The mechanical assistants (yes, there are robots), speaks like a decent human being, rather than an automated tone which is simply refreshing. Some of the exterior shots of the Endurance looks like it's straight out of Hubble documentary (rather apt, since this film looks simply insane in its IMAX print) and that slow, quiet, balletic edit of that moment where Wolf and Cooper tries to balance the air-lock sync with the Endurance, certainly reminds me of '2001'.

There are films with a 200 million dollars price tag on it that will either wow us away with its visual or kept us talking about what happens in the final frame. It's just difficult for anyone who's able to do massive juggling of those two together and still able to deliver a largely satisfying slice of cinema. And yet Interstellar did just that. Sure, critics and people who watched it will either be defensive, offensive or downright divisive. But most importantly; it kept us talking. Why it's good. Why it's bad. And what the flying fuck happened in the third act. But at the very least, Chris Nolan tackles the fundamental human element - like the boundless, tangible quality of love and the question of our place in the universe - in a most appropriately-ambitious, emotionally-charged movie of this year.

"When you have children of your own, you will simply be a ghost and a memory for them."

P.S: Couldn't quite remember the exact line of dialogue exchanged in that scene where Cooper said his last goodbye to Murph (will update by the time I get to my second screening) but it's the one that stuck out to me the most, because of two reasons; one, the idea in that quote was manipulated in the third act and two; not a parent myself, but it's such a poignant line and goddamn it if it didn't made me wept.

Caproni liked these reviews