Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ★★★★

One of the things that annoys me most about the movie discussion community or whatever it is is how quickly "accepted" opinions can set in.

It feels like we missed the part when we talked about whether the MCU was the gold standard of movie franchises (it isn't) or if the Pirates trilogy (I legitimately adore them) was good or not and immediately accepted a narrative because we had to move onto the next thing.

Well, fuck that. I like discussing things and getting to the root of a question. The question here is: is the Pirates trilogy good? I think the answer is yes, and I still can't see why that is such an unpopular take. It's got the larger-than-life action, mythology, characters, humor and plenty spectacle to go around.

Is that not what we ask from our blockbusters? To aspire to be more than a studio tentpole and tell an engaging story? I think it succeeds in that, and frankly the next time I hear a legitimate argument about why these are supposedly bad will be the first time. No variations of "Johhny Depp sux" or "the first one was the only good one because the internet told me so" will be accepted. Gimme something more. Something deeper.

If life in the Trump administration has taught us anything, it's that when you hear something enough times, your brain will start to accept it as fact. Every now and again, I have to confront that little brain hack when I think about not just movies, but life.

Maybe I'm taking this all too seriously, but I think there are no downsides to engaging the things you like and dislike on a deeper intellectual level. We should open up our minds a little and think about why we like or dislike something instead of just rolling with the initial, raw reaction as if that's the only one that's ever going to come.

Sure, that way of approaching things has made me like some things less, but it's made me appreciate other things more that I may have been dismissive of. It's a give and take.

Truth be told, this entry is more of a "man yells at cloud" moment over analysis than it is the Pirates franchise, which truth be told is what got me thinking about this in the first place.

I think it's important to think. About art, life, ideologies, all of it. I might come off as pretentious and a wanna-be intellectual sometimes, but it's only because I get frustrated at how people refuse to really engage with each other and themselves.

But, yeah, this movie is good.

Grade: 8/10