Metropolis ★★★★½

Filmwelt Filmclub #15 - Metropolis - chosen by Jonas

If you somehow stumbled upon this review and are now reading it, let me tell you this: Stop everything you‘re doing right now and watch Metropolis. Not only is this an essential watch for any movie enthusiast, it also is just the masterpiece everyone told you it is.
I understand that this seems like a hard watch. It has a 2,5 hour runtime and is a silent film in black and white. But trust me when I say you don‘t notice any of that while watching it. Metropolis is paced extremely well, the story is very interesting, even if it‘s more than morally questionable. I mean Hitler loved this movie, but if you are able to view it critically and realize how „bad“ the message is, it definitely makes for a very interesting watch that should start discussions. In addition to that, the setdesign is insane. Metropolis is visually stunning and everything is extremely gorgeous. It‘s fascinating how a nearly 100 year old movie manages to look so incredible.

I don‘t have anything else to say about this sci-fi epic, since everything has been said already. And rightfully so. This is something everyone mildly interested in movies has to see at least once in their life. Just keep in mind, that you should question the message behind it.

DerLindi liked these reviews