Nocturama

Nocturama ★★★★

Filmwelt Filmclub #44 - Nocturama - chosen by Kaladin

I honestly don‘t know what to write about Nocturama. I enjoyed it, quite a bit actually. I just have nothing to say about it really.

The first half is extremely entertaining and suspenseful. You‘re thrown right in the action, but immediately it grabs your attention and invests you in what is happening. At least for me that was the case. It felt like I was watching for only 15 minutes, when in reality I‘ve sat here for an hour.
Even the deliberately slower-paced second half could hold my attention very well. While not all dialogues where great, I like the concept and the change of pace makes sense in the story. I won‘t spoil too much, but the ending is pretty ruthless. I like that. The security camera shots, while not being entirely new, are a nice stylistic touch, that I appreciate. They make the finale feel more realistic and offer some needed visual flair.
Overall there are a few deliberate choices that I don’t mind much, but they destroy some of the impact this could’ve had for me. Our protagonists aren‘t characterized much. They act more as a symbol for a broader group of young adults and people in general. Nocturama isn‘t about those specific characters, it‘s about society. And while this allegory works well enough, the finale lacks some impact because of this. It still is great, but nothing that I will keep in my mind for too long.

So you see, I actually really like this film and there aren‘t a whole lot of flaws I notice. Still, something is missing. I don‘t know what exactly, but there is nothing that makes this special to me, nothing that will bring me back to it. Good film, but maybe could‘ve been better if it were able to make me care more.

DerLindi liked these reviews