Taste of Cherry

Taste of Cherry ★★★½

Filmwelt Filmclub #49 - Taste of Cherry - chosen by Yaron

What can I say about Taste of Cherry?
It‘s a very interesting film for sure. The way the themes of appreciating life and different views on life are cleverly intregated in the dialogues. They make up most of the film too, so yeah it‘s important to pay attention to them. It‘s never super cryptic, but the dialogues are the focus of this. Still, there are certain shots of the landscape that are just as important as a contrast to the small world inside the car.
Taste of Cherry is a minimalistic film that tackles important themes through interesting dialogues. It‘s certainly thoughtprovoking and I believe that‘s what Kiarostami aimed for.

So why didn‘t I rate this higher if it is so good at asking the viewer to reflect on their own views?
I simply lacked a connection to it. I know that everything is deliberately left uncertain and unclear. That‘s obviously what the film wants. We don‘t need a connection to a specific character, otherwise it wouldn‘t really work as a general comment. It would be about that character alone.
But that doesn‘t mean I have to like this approach. I appreciate it for what it is, but it simply doesn‘t do it for me. I‘m a very emotional person and always enjoy it more if I have an emotional connection to what‘s happening. That‘s why I have such a strong love for mood based film. They evoke a feeling, an emotion in me and through that make their point. Taste of Cherry didn‘t achieve that for me. I witnessed everything and I was never bored, but after all I didn‘t feel anything. I reflected on my views, yeah, it achieved that, but that‘s not enough for me to fully love this.
I understand that this is a very personal „problem“ I have with this and most people will feel otherwise, but that‘s what I have to say about it.

So, this is another film that, through deliberate decisions, make it hard for me to fully connect with it and in turn rate this higher.
While I can certainly appreciate it for what it is, i can‘t bring myself to love it. Sorry Yaron.

DerLindi liked these reviews