Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★

My local theater was playing it today so I went and saw it early! I’m going to be honest, I really don’t know what to think of this film. I know I liked some of it but it had so many major issues. I really felt like this film lacked tension even in the scenes that were supposed to provoke that feeling. The problem is that this film brands itself as a horror movie but feels more like a really boring thriller at times. The film. moves at a snails pace. I honestly got bored during the first part of the film. The characters were honestly bad in the sense that I didn’t really care about any of them. I really wanted too but the film gave me not much to work with in terms of getting to know them. Also the story and plot are extremely predictable to the point where I was surprised that Ari Aster didn’t deviate more from the Folk Horror genre tropes. I really love the set design and costume design in the movie. It’s among the best I have ever seen in a horror film. I also really liked the score which was very weird and fit the film perfectly. I really wanted to love this movie but I was just very disappointed.

Devin liked this review