Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day ★★★★½

Possibly the most insanely brilliant studio comedy I've ever seen, Groundhog Day is simply amazing. It's a perfect example of how to take concept to screen, somehow manages both to make the audience laugh, cry, and more importantly think, and is one of the most re-watchable films of all time. A perfect example of how to get something to do well in theaters and later on DVD for the family without sacrificing quality in writing, directing, and performance. Bill Murray is absolutely stellar. His transitions between certain moods are seamless, and he is absolutely incredible in this role. I would be remiss if I didn't talk about the sequence that made me sob, the sequence of the homeless old man, which never fails to make me sob uncontrollably. I don't know how they manage to put so much heart into something that should just be an entertaining 90 minutes, but its absolutely brilliant. While visually it may not be sophisticated, I feel it's simplistic camerawork adds to its strength, adding the beauty of the mundane, amplifying part of the story's message. If you haven't seen this film, you should definitely watch it. A guaranteed incredible time (unless you really hate Bill Murray.)