Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead

Not one of Snyder's strongest imo but tons of fun, ridiculous and overlong. But it's a film about excess so whatever. Everyone needs to lighten up. The apocalypse is started by a blowjob. He's telling you exactly what movie he's making to entertain. That doesn't mean Snyder doesn't have bigger things on his mind either. Lots of the film revolves around refugee crisis, the disregarding of soldiers once they're no longer of use to the government, capital as means of control; I thought people were joking when I heard he brought back his obsessions with Wagner and Excalibur, but nyope! It's here with an extension of the zombie evolution from George Romero's DEAD legacy, and it was a hoot. However, while I'm glad I'm mostly team Snyder now, I think he needed a co-writer just to help tighten it up a little (it could still be long but more character flourishes from the b-cast would have been nice) and a cinematographer to help him guide the look. it's not an abhorrent looking film or anything, I would have loved this from top to bottom if it was shot by Larry "Magic" Fong. it's funny, I was praising the use of close-ups in the Snyder Cut as some of the best close-ups in recent memory, so naturally, we get a film that is 75% close-ups immediately after. I would have liked a little more visual variety to the garish apocalyptic landscapes beyond "daylight" and "magic hour" but I'm all for anyone getting full creative control of a passion project, the cast is fantastic, the action is visceral in a way that I've missed from blockbusters and the dad stuff got to me. I'm excited to watch it again. best actor goes to Dave Bautista.

Diego liked these reviews