Monster Hunter

Monster Hunter

killer opening is immediately juxtaposed by awful military bullshit, but thank christ it is almost just as quickly tossed aside in favor for a Milla Jovovich and Tony Jaa action-adventure buddy survival movie and skyrockets in entertainment value. the action is the best Anderson has ever accomplished, the revolving around problem-solving between monster conflicts and his geography is back to top form (sorry, RE6 lovers but I didn't buy it there). Each act relocated between sprawling deserts, narrow caverns, and vibrant jungles. It's a fantasy delight and I only wish there was more of it! There's a compelling thread about imperialism here that, quite frankly, doesn't get the attention it deserves. I assume this is built in for sequel stuff but while it's functioning as the weird fantasy adventure with monster battles, it's a total b-movie delight. I'm not sure it will win over any converts to the PWSA hive but the stuff I had a hoot with this. The soundtrack rules too and I like the message of unity without borders and across languages! One of the good video game movies. I do not make the rules.

Diego liked these reviews