Falling Leaves

Falling Leaves

Film School Dropouts 2018

Revision - Pioneers of Film - Alice Guy-Blache

I failed miserably to write anything about Alice Guy-Blache last year, so I thought this year I would make amends. Considered to be the world's first female director, she was at the forefront of the development of narrative film. If Falling Leaves is anything to go by I really need to check out more of her filmography.

Falling Leaves is a simple story of a little girl trying to save the life of her older sister, who is dying of consumption. The indelible image of Trixie tieing fallen leaves back on to the trees under the belief that it will save her older sister, is endearing and touching. The film is still very accessible to a modern audience helped by relatively understated and natural performances for the time. Some accounts state that Guy posted “Be Natural” on the wall of her studio as a motivational aid for the actors.

By the end of the short, with its possible romance in the air ending, I felt I'd watched something far more substantial and memorable than its twelve minutes should allow.

Steve liked these reviews