Parasite ★★★★

Bong Joon-ho always manages to create films that somehow define genres and exist in a realm of their own. Parasite is no exception.

It's the type of film that intrigues throughout its entire running time as there is this unmistakable feel of it leading up to something. What that something is remains in the dark for a long time, not because of a cheap writing trick, but because of Bong Joon-ho's aforementioned talent for creating things that refuse to be niched. As it's not really clear what you're watching, everything remains open, making it an absolute joy to watch.

The cast, led by Bong Joon-ho's meticulous direction, is uniformly excellent. They manage to capture a tone that beautifully walks that fine line between realism and surrealism. This film is all about shifting perspectives and searching for who you're supposed to connect to. The way the cast manages to convey this is really impressive. They all go from protagonist to antagonist, from villain to victim with the greatest of ease.

There really is a huge amount to enjoy in this unique film, but it's not without its faults. To me it felt like Bong Joon-ho overreached his grasp somewhat. With a build up as great as this, the pay off needs to be equally impressive and while it certainly packs a punch, it lacked the subtlety of the previous acts and somehow felt telegraphed too much. In and of itself it is a well crafted final act, but linked to what came before it, it just missed the mark for me.

Still, Parasite is a unique film, of which we need a whole lot more if you ask me.