Speed

Speed ★★★★★

This could very well be one of the best action films ever made.

There aren't many films that reach the level of genre perfection that this film does. It amazes me that almost twenty years after its release it still looks amazing and feels contemporary.

Apart from the final 15 minutes, this film is absolutely perfectly paced. The way de Bont manages to keep his audiences engaged in such a confined environment is fantastic. There are some of the best action sequences I've ever seen in this film, which actually rely on clever filmmaking and amazing stunts instead of all the modern techniques like CGI that we see nowadays.

Sure, the characters in this film are all stereotypes, but who cares? This isn't about that and the leads have enough charisma (yes, even Keanu Reeves) to make us care about them. I do feel Hopper deserves a special mention. This is him at his best, giving us a frustrated villain with a convincing constrained insanity.

This film has great re-watchability and has that extra spark of creativivity and imagination to make it what it is, an action packed piece of blockbuster perfection.

DirkH liked these reviews