Stir of Echoes ★★★★

It's a shame that this film was released next to The Sixth Sense and is often compared to it. I always felt that was the reason why it got so little attention back then, which, in my opinion, is totally unjustified.

This film is of the 'gets under your skin' variety. The premise is excellent, if a bit predictably worked out. But the strengths of this film do not lie in its originality, they lie within its visual style and Mr. Bacon.

The film oozes a kind of grim and bleak feel that really got to me. Everything, from the colours to the production design, felt as if something wasn't right, was somehow otherworldly. Sure, this telegraphs things to come very clearly, but that's ok as the feeling it evokes is what this film is all about. It is supposed to be somewhat unsettling and that's where the constant feeling of tension you as a viewer feel comes from.

Kevin Bacon is a very versatile actor. In everything he does, he convinces. The film he's in a can be bad, but you don't often catch him giving a poor or lacklustre performance. In this film he manages to get us involved in his character's compulsions and makes them believable. Had this been done by someone lacking Bacon's skill and energy, it would not have worked.

Stir of Echoes is a fantastic ghost story that doesn't always get the credit it deserves.