The Wrong Man ★★★★½

Film #6 of 'It's June Jim, but not as we know it.'

This somehow feels like an odd man out in Hitchcock's filmography. Based on real events, this feels almost like a fictionalized documentary of sorts. It is distant, methodical and dead serious. No snazzy camera angles, no pitchblack humour, just the story and what it contains.

And I loved it.

Fonda and Miles are absolutely breathtaking in this tale of mistaken identity. Their performances suck you in and once you're there they just won't let go. I was 100% invested and that is not something that happens often with films like this. Fonda's transition from desperation to cooperation to complete and utter fear is astonishing and is what makes this film work as well as it does.

I wish Hitchcock had made more films like this. The Master of Suspense shows here that he is also more than capable of moving an audience. The Wrong Man was mostly ignored when it was released apparently, which is perhaps not that big of a surprise as it is a clear break from Hitchcock's style. It should be seen as one of his best films now, if it were up to me. Story is everything and the people telling it here are just the icing on the cake.

DirkH liked this review