The 355

The 355 ★★★½

The 355 is a decent spy action thriller that is carried by its leading ladies. I don't know what people expect from a film like this, but I'm under the impression too many are setting themselves up for disappointment by expecting some Mission: Impossible level stuff.

The script could've used another draft to smooth out a few clunky moments and polish the dialogue, other than that I don't have a serious issue with the movie. I don't mind that it hits most if not all the familiar beats of the genre. For some that might be boring, but do it well enough and you won't see me complaining.

As I said, the best part of the movie are the performances, of which Diane Kruger's is the strongest. To be honest I expected this to be more of a Jessica Chastain vehicle since she was also a producer on this, but it's truly a team effort. Kruger and Lupita Nyong'o aren't just sidekicks, but fully formed characters (in the context of the genre, that is), only Penélope Cruz takes a bit of a backseat compared to the others.

But can somebody please tell me what is it with these painfully obvious shitty wigs? For fuck's sake, what is even the point of having different hair every other scene (I'm exaggerating). Vanity, I guess. At least do it right so that the fake hair does not stand out like a sore thumb.

It's not hard to see why The 355 isn't doing well at the box office. It's neither stylish enough like the John Wick movies, nor has it a gimmick that would make it stand out. It's just a solid movie that probably would've been more successful on a streaming platform than in theaters, because outside of the big franchises the spy genre appears to be pretty much comatose.

DisposableMiffy liked these reviews