Alone in the Dark 2

Alone in the Dark 2 ½

Hooptober forced me to pick "the worst part 2 movie I have access to", so this is it. To tell you the truth, I did not expect this to be this unbearable. It's one of those movies where you're constantly wondering if you just missed a scene or eight, but you also know that you did not fall asleep or leave the room. Almost everything of consequence happens out of frame - a frame that usually shows the characters shot from their knees upwards, probably to mask the complete lack of sets this was filmed in. It's incoherent, painfully boring and worryingly stupid – completely unfathomable how a group of fully grown adults (I assume) looked at any single scene of this and thought "yep, we're done". Don't fall into the trap of hoping for entertainment in inadequacy: It's not there! The only – believe me, really, the ONLY – reason I could recommend watching this for is if you're an aspiring filmmaker yourself and are looking for a cautionary tale about what mistakes to avoid in your own work. Because Alone in the Dark 2 showcases all of them.

I watched this as part of my Hooptober list: letterboxd.com/djmacbest/list/hooptober-eight-late-and-light/