Zero Days ★★★★½

Movies That Matter Film Festival - Film #8

"We have seen the enemy, and it is us."

It has been described as the Mona Lisa of malware, never before or since has the cyber world seen anything like it - so far, at least. STUXnet was first identified in 2010 after it had spread worldwide, infecting hundreds of thousands of computers. It contained four so-called "zero days", codes that allowed it to spread without any action required.

Cyber security agencies jumped on the attack, trying to figure out who it was targeting and where it came from. Their search led them to perhaps the first major cyber assault of one nation state against another. The players: the United States of America and Iran.

Zero Days is an expertly crafted documentary, a mixture of 2010's Inside Job and Michael Mann's Blackhat. The quality of sources on display is astounding; from directors of the CIA and NSA, and Israeli Military Intelligence, to whistleblowers at the NSA and Mossad, to representatives of Iran and the cyber security community.

The narrative is finely tuned and the message is clear: there are new types of weapons in the world, but unlike with previous types such as nuclear weapons, we cannot begin to create doctrine's or treaties on their usage, because no one wants to or is allowed to talk about them.

The motto in the cyber intelligence world now is everything goes.